As the Arabic proverb says , travel has seven advantages . I can add one ,which is : Making corn syrup-free Marshmallows as you don't have corn syrup in Italy :)
With only five ingredients + a hand mixer + some patients you can have your marshmallows in only 30 minutes plus 3 hours :)
Things I hadn't used :
- A stand mixer
- A candy thermometer
- Corn syrup
Homemade Heart Marshmallows with NO Corn Syrup
Partially inspired from frugalkiwi1 tbsp gelatine powder.
1/4 cup cool water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 + 1/8 cup water.
1 tbsp honey
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/4 vanilla bean, seeds removed or 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (may substitute any extract here).
1/8 cup cornstarch
1/8 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp cocoa, optional
- In a small bowl, stir together corn starch and powdered sugar, and cocoa if using. Set aside.
- Prepare a pan: Grease and dust a baking dish or cookie pan with a rim.
- Combine cool water and gelatine in a large bowl.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine water, vanilla sugar, honey and salt. Bring to rolling boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until hard ball stage. And here is my trick --- click on this Video to know how to identify the hard ball stage without a candy thermometer .
- Turn on mixer at low speed. Slowly pour hot syrup into bowl containing the gelatin/water mix. Splatters hurt! Mix until thoroughly combined, and then turn mixer to high , add your color. Beat until very thick and fluffy , about 12-15 minutes with a hand electric mixer.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan, and cool overnight or at least 3-4 hours before slicing. To slice, remove entire sheet of mallows to a sugar/cornstarch dusted cutting board. Grease a very sharp knife or scissors or a cookie cutter like I did , and cut into desired size. Toss with remaining powdered sugar mixture until all sides are evenly coated and no longer sticky.
Will keep for 2-3 weeks in an airtight container.