OMG ! Couldn't find white eggs in all Bologna supermarkets , was really disappointed and so were my kids .. So I kept looking for a foolproof way to dye my DARK eggs ..and I DID IT !
Well guys, you hard boil your eggs and then put your different dyes in your mugs and- here is a trick- cracking the shell, and then steeping the egg in a flavored tea or food colors . The batik-like marbling effect is more prominent when teas with high levels of tannin are used; the duration of the coloring will influence both the color of the marbling and the degree to which the tea flavor penetrates the egg.
Ingredients ( for two loaves ) :
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom ( I used orange peel instead )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 3 hard-cooked eggs
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, cardamom and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120 degrees F-130 degrees F. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add 3 eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.( the dough will be sticky ) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 60 minutes.
- Dye hard-cooked eggs; lightly rub with oil. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a 48 cm rope.
- Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Gently separate braided ropes and tuck dyed eggs into openings ( or put them in the middle after it is baked as I did ). Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Beat water and remaining egg; gently brush over dough. Bake at 375 degrees F ( 180 c)for 28-32 or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers.
- you can reheat it in the microwave later , then spread some butter and jam on it .. Yummmmy!