Calzone is a folded Italian pizza which, by the sheer nature of its shape, is far more portable than a normal pizza and looks a bit like a Cornish pasty. Although the flavorings can be the same as for pizza, Italians often fill their calzone with leftover veg from the night before, or with various things that need using up.
What you will make ahead :
First , make your Pizza Dough
Second , make your Pizza sauce
Then ladies and gentlemen prepare your filling ... you can put in WHATEVER you want !
in my case I put :
- RICOTTA CHEESE! Use one and one half cups of ricotta mixed with dash of pepper, salt and some grated Parmesan cheese .
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella .
- some olives .
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- When dough is ready, punch it down and separate it into 2 equal parts. Roll parts out into thin circles on a lightly floured surface. Fill each circle with 1/2 of the filling and fold over, securing edges by folding in and pressing with a fork. Brush the top of each calzone with egg , olive oil or even some garlic butter !! and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 minutes. Serve hot.