Classically, it is made only in Easter... but I decided to make it in christmas... Sue me!
|You will need those stuff|
|Heat the first three ingredients|
|Cream the ricotta and sugar|
|Add all other ingredients except the candied peel|
|Add the wheat mixture to the ricotta one|
|Line your pan with the pasta frolla|
|Make your strips|
|Add the candied peel and pour into the pan|
|E Voilà !!!!|
Pastiera Napoletana ( Italian Wheat & Ricotta Pie)
- Pasta Frolla * Sweet pastry Dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter ( cold)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- The filling:
- 250 gm Cooked Wheat Kernels ( canned) or you can cook it yourself.
- 100 ml milk
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 350 gm whole milk ricotta
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1/2 cup diced candied orange peel
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Egg wash: One egg well beaten with a pinch of salt
- For the Pasta Frolla, combine dry ingredients in food processor and pulse to mix. Cut butter into 8 pieces and add. Pulse to mix in finely. Add eggs and water then pulse until dough forms a ball. Remove from work bowl, wrap and chill dough.
- Drain the wheat and place in a pan with numbers 2 and 3 of the filling over medium heat till it forms a creamy mixture and all milk is absorbed. Let it cool completely.
- For the filling, place ricotta in a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar, eggs and remaining ingredients. Stir in the cooked wheat kernels.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, 150 c. Butter a 9-inch (20 cm) cake pan or a piriform one, 2-inches deep. To assemble, cut off 1/4 of the Pasta Frolla and reserve it. Roll the 3/4 of the dough into a 14-inch( 30 cm) disk and line the prepared pan with it. Allow the dough to hang over the edge of the pan. Pour in the filling and sprinkle it with the cinnamon. Roll the remaining 1/4 of the dough into a 20 cm square. Cut it into 10 1-inch wide strips. Paint the strips with the egg wash. Moisten the rim of the dough on the pan with the egg wash, and adhere 5 strips in each direction, forming a diagonal lattice. Trim away any excess dough even with the top of the pan and push the dough all around off the top rim of the pan so that it is completely within the pan.
- Bake about 60-90 minutes 8 checl after one hour), until the filling is set and the pastry is light golden. Cool in the pan before unmolding. To unmold, invert onto a flat plate, lift off the pan, replace the pan with another plate or platter, then re-invert, so that the Pastiera is right side up. Serve the Pastiera at room temperature.